Friday, March 28, 2014

Ocean sensory bin




After our Dinosaur unit, I knew that a sensory bin was essential.  
I couldn't figure out if I wanted to just put this outside and add actual water.
However, the girls play with this in our loft daily, so I decided to keep it inside.




After an hour of non-stop play, Adelyn asked if they could keep it "forever".
Success :)


Materials:

Instead of sand, I used corn meal!  It shapes really nicely like wet sand!


I got mine from Jo Ann's with a 50% off coupon!


This itsy bites bucket was a nice addition with some 
weird sea creatures that weren't in the mega toob.

2 bags of Aquarium gravel. 

We already had a bunch of dive-fish, so I used those.

I bought a couple of plastic aquatic plants to top it off :)


This last part will sound weird.
I'm kind of into brain research, as it pertains to learning.
One of the things that really connects with sensory tables is that the MORE senses we engage, the stronger the memory.  This includes smell.  No joke.

Most adults have particular smells that will transport them in time and make them think of a memory, etc, instantly.  That same thing - it pertains to learning.  When a particular smell is connected with learning, especially learning that is actually connected in a real way to that smell, the learning is stronger.  Also, when that smell is present, that learning comes to the surface, much like memories!

So, I've been trying to connect smells with my sensory bins.
What do you use for smell and the ocean?

I used sunscreen.

My master plan - every time my kids put sunscreen on at the beach, their memories of learning about the ocean will resurface.

Let's see if my master plans works ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment