Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Seasons

The girls and I have been talking about seasons in the last few weeks.

We've been reading lots of stories about seasons, so today we decided to take it to the next level

I looked online at the various "sorts" for seasons and I really didn't like any of them.

I wanted a sort with items that meant something to my kids, so I made one that I thought fit them.

(I made it a word document so you can download it and make changes that might fit your kiddos!)

Cutting is SO FUN - at least for my kids.  It's half of the fun of sorts.  You can probably tell which parts Charlotte cut, versus Adelyn ;)
We sorted the first time together, talking about each picture!
We got a ton out of this activity.  We started with Charlotte sounding out each season.  Then we talked about each picture together!  Some they knew immediately, while others they didn't!

I love sorts because you can use them over and over again.  Later, I'll probably layer in new pictures and maybe the months of the year to make it increasingly challenging.

Then, we created season trees, which is an idea I stole from my friend Kelly.

I didn't do it as artistically as she did.  I printed tree templates and just pulled out paint.

We had already sorted, so we used the trees from our sorts as models.

Charlotte chose Spring - no surprise - there was pink involved!

Adelyn chose Fall because she LOVES yellow :)
 After painting, I let Charlotte use the headers from the sorts as models to write the seasons names on the paintings (so she got in some reading and writing - yay!)

Adelyn's finished product

Mommy even got to paint!

Charlotte's "Spring" painting

Winter is kind of the "non" painting :)

Finished and hung where they can see them every day and talk about them!




1 comment:

  1. Sweet! Great idea to do a sort with this. And your trees are great ;)

    ReplyDelete