Monday, August 19, 2013

Creation - Day 3

I think today is a good day because my amazing husband has been home for the weekend.

I'm feeling blessed this morning and confident in my choice to "school" my girls at home.

Our day started beautifully.  Adelyn and I had been reading books in the swing in the garden for over and hour and Charlotte finally woke up around 8am.  So after she ate her oatmeal, we began.


We decided to work outside and with my new "tote" it was easy to grab everything and move to our patio,  which was incredible this morning <3


As the girls colored and cut their 3, I read from our new Bible, which we are really loving!


While the girls pasted their 3 into their books, we learned our song.

Adelyn, using her new purple glue stick
 Adelyn was particularly wiggly this morning and while Charlotte did some work, Adelyn got pushed on the swing.  She had a sang her Day 3 song and was happy - so I was happy (after all, she's 3!).
Charlotte copying the dictation "God made plants"


Adelyn does a little of her own "writing" by rainbowing 3 with sidewalk chalk.

Sidewalk chalk is awesome for 2-3 year olds because it takes a fine motor skill and makes it a little more gross motor.

Photo credit: Adelyn Grace

Of course, Charlotte couldn't be left out :)

After our writing, everyone drew a picture of Day 3.


This cool thing happened.  
I took the above picture because I thought Charlotte was finished with her picture.
Then, I saw her turn back to the previous pages in her book.
Afterward, she drew clouds and water on her picture, then light and dark.
I asked her why she did it and she told me it was day 3, so everything from day 1 and 2 were there too.

Maybe that doesn't sound cool to you.  
However, that my child understood that God's creation was a cumulative sort of thing without my prompting was pretty awesome as far as this Mommy can see!

So, this is the truly finished picture :)

We then moved to some Math-y sort of stuff!

We put 3 grapes on our ten-frames and counted how many empty spaces there were.  
Then, we wrote a number sentence to go with the way Charlotte arranged hers.


Charlotte then copied my number sentence and tried "saying it" herself.
Connecting a number sentence to a concrete tool is pretty difficult stuff, but super important!


Then, we arranged our grapes every way possible and wrote different number sentences.

Charlotte realized that 2+1 and 1+2 were "kind of the same, but a little different"

We called them turn-around-facts and talked about how they both equalled 3.

We moved from ten-frames to our God-given ten-frame (our fingers) and showed 3 different ways!



This one was our favorite!


We even used both hands to show that 1+2 was the same as 2+1


Then, we headed to Hudson Gardens to explore tons of plants that God made on Day 3, and meet up with some other homeschoolers.


After naps, we made a craft for Day 3!
We made a flower out of materials that God made on Day 3.


I just used a pencil to outline a flower and we used glue in one section at a time with different materials.  The inside was filled with dirt because God made land.

Then we used flower petals, flower seeds, (bird) seed, grass, pine needles & cones.


As I picked flowers, we talked about the parts of a flower (stem, root, leaf, petal, seed)

This was the first time that the girls discovered that there are seeds in the center of flowers.  They were pretty stoked about it and we used those flower seeds as one of our sections!


All done!

Charlotte's finished craft -up close!

After our flower craft, we used the mess on the table to make bracelets.
I stole this idea from our children's museum!

Turn masking tape inside out and put the sticky side out and wrap around your wrist to make a bracelet.

Then, sprinkle all of the things God made on Day 3 on your bracelet.  


They were our leftovers, so it was super-easy!



No comments:

Post a Comment