Monday, August 12, 2013

Creation - Day 1

I'm really loving the idea of teaching in more thematic units when it makes sense, but I'm not really big into pre-purchased curriculum.  Even in the classroom, I preferred to make most of my own stuff (or find) because even with a curriculum I felt I was always adapting everything.  

However, when my friend Kelly shared a unit that her curriculum started with (The 7 days of creation) it seemed like a great unit idea!  So I created my own unit with ideas from different blogs and people!

This blog had great ideas and I used most of them :)

Charlotte's creation book
One of the ideas I was sure about from the start is the girls re-creating the story of creation for themselves through illustrations so they could read it again and again.

Because I wanted the girls to both draw pictures and write, I knew I should make the books on the larger side.  So, instead of folding 8.5x11 paper, I made these books the entire 8.5 x 11 with cardstock covers.  The bottoms of the picture pages have handwriting strips (2 of them) photocopied onto the bottom.


I also made copies of hollow numbers (1-7) for the girls to color, cut, then paste into their books!

Each girl started by coloring their number any way they wanted

While coloring, I read from the Bible about Day 1 of creation.

Then, each kiddo cut out the number 1

This is a cute song from the blog I linked above
After the fine motor work, we took a break to sing a song!
I looked specifically for songs for this unit because Adelyn is really into songs/singing and really retains information when it's in song form!

No surprise, Charlotte wanted to perform for the camera and her sister didn't :)


Then, we opened our blank books and colored a picture of what we thought the first day of creation looked like!
I used my own piece of lined paper to show where to write
 After we colored a picture, Charlotte wrote a simple sentence "God made light" while Adelyn practiced writing the number 1.

Finally, we pasted our number on the opposite page!

Here is Charlotte's final page (4 1/2)
I love that Charlotte included both the light and the dark!
Here is Adelyn's final page (3)
 We moved from the actual story of creation to talking about the number 1.

We talked about how you can draw a 1 two different ways.  The girls took turns coming and writing their favorite type of 1.

Adelyn made giant, long 1s :)
Charlotte chose to try the more difficult one.
I've been exciting about introducing ten frames to the girls and I'm stoked that this is the perfect introduction!

I bought this book back at Christmas, but have yet to use it.  There isn't any profound about it, but it has lots of fun graphics, so I knew both girls would like it!




I laminated 3 of the sheets at Lakeshore for a whopping 68 cents so they would last us awhile.  I cut off the squares and put them in a snack bag, but will use all different manipulatives with the 10-frames.

Today Charlotte chose a purple kitty (Adelyn a yellow bear)
 We talked about the ten-frames for a few minutes.  We started by counting how many squares there were total (10) and then how many were in each row (5) and that 5 on top and 5 on bottom make 10 altogether.  Then, we put our bear or kitty on the 10-frame anywhere we wanted.  We predicted how many empty spaces we thought there were if 1 was taken.  Then we counted to see that on a 10-frame if 1 space is taken, there are 9 empty spaces.

We made 1s with wiki sticks
Then, we came back to the topic for the day to make a craft (a light box).
It cost me $3 to make both of these (had the paint at home).

The blog I linked above does a great job of explaining step-by-step how to complete this!

I didn't have shoe boxes, so I used what we had!

Used a utility knife to make the holes!

The girls loved the painting part!

The $3 was spent at the Dollar tree on 2 flashlights and batteries!

Charlotte, seeing the "light"


Lastly, I used magnetic letters that I had put on the easel and had Charlotte try to spell out the sentence she had written.  Writing is really laborious at this age, so to add a spelling (or word study) element, I used the letters and just mixed them up! 

Obviously, I had to help with the silent "gh" but otherwise awesome :)


After reflecting, I'm really excited about this first day.  
It seemed to be a great balance of a little bit of scripture, a lot of hands-on fun, but a really big idea! 
The girls were engaged and got lots of repetitive practice in a ton of skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment