Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cupcake fake-me-out

One of my favorite ways to use fresh zucchini from our garden is in Zucchini Bread muffins (recipe below)!  Everything seems to be more accessible for kids when it's in a muffin.  Usually, my girls devour them before I can say boo.

However, Adelyn is going through a picky phase, which seems to invite Charlotte to be picky too :(

So, my yummy, nutritious (though, quite sweet :) muffins are not being eaten by my loves this week!
We're about to go camping for 3 days and I am not a fan of wasting yummy food that is made from scratch!


So, when kids want to express their independence, Mommas have to get downright creative ;)

I just made cupcakes last night in the dark of night for Adelyn's birthday while camping, which gave me a great idea this morning.

I tried to re-market my zucchini muffins this morning, as fake-me-out cupcakes.


While the girls played, I put a big scoop of Vanilla Greek Yogurt in a bowl with a kid butter knife.  Then, I just put the muffin next to it.

Charlotte came to the table and said "Mommy, remember, I don't want that muffin". (sigh)

"I thought you might like to put some yogurt on it like icing, with your own knife"

She took the hook :)

Who minds their children having a zucchini muffin and greek yogurt for breakfast?

It sounds nutritious, but LOOKS like a treat!

My favorite part was how the girls kept licking their fingers and off of their knives like you do when you're using icing :) "Mmmm, this icing is YUUMMY" was even muttered a few times!

This one cracks me up

Success!


Zucchini Bread (or muffins)
Ingredients
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • a handful of baby carrots (also grated)
  • up to 1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
  1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans (or muffin pans). Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl. (Who does this step? - not I)
  3. Beat eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini, carrots, and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes (or 20-25 minutes for muffins), or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment