Thursday, August 29, 2013

Creation - Day 6

I'm getting kind of sad that this unit is almost over.  We've had a ton of fun with the numbers and learning about how God created the world!

*Side note - my kids have about 10 pairs of pajamas, but seem to be in these particular gowns every time I take pictures of our lessons.  I promise, I really do laundry....sometimes....when I have to!

Today, we colored the 6 like usual, cut, pasted, etc.


While we worked on our 6, we talked about rhyming words.  My girls LOVE to rhyme and make up the most ridiculous words by rhyming, especially when singing their favorite "Down by the Bay".  Today was a great opportunity to talk more about rhyming because today was the first day our song didn't rhyme.  So, as a great review, we sang all 5 other verses to the song.  After each day, I asked if they could figure out what the rhyming words were.  Then, we learned the new verse for Day 6!




Later, I recorded Charlotte practicing.  One word slip and she had to do the whole thing over....not that she's a perfectionist ;)

Adelyn's sidewalk chalk rainbow of 6
 The fun thing about teaching 2 kids (instead of a whole classroom) is that I know my kiddos really well.  They adore make-believe, dress-up, etc, especially together.

So, our favorite activity today was these little wooden masks I found at the dollar tree.  $2 my kids had probably 45 minutes of "crafting" and a ton of fun playing afterward.  Win-win, right?


It was really fun to paint with the girls today.  I let each of them pick 4 colors so they could do some mixing.  Adelyn just mixed all of the colors, but Charlotte was so particular, really trying to make a different shade of each of her colors by mixing white.  She was quite meticulous and it was fun to watch her explore making a lighter and lighter pink, without my direction.

Both girls love to paint and took a good amount of time to paint their masks!


I thought animals might be difficult to draw (though later I realized they aren't for Charlotte) so I pulled out our stamp pads and animal stamps.  Kids LOVE to stamp (really, they love anything that makes a mess, right?) and I was happy to do it outside!


The girls' favorite math manipulatives are these little animals so we pulled them out for math time.

Charlotte put them on her ten frame and went to work, writing number sentences.  This has been really good for me to watch her write numbers.  I'm realizing that we've spent a lot of time writing letters and less time writing numbers.  To practice, I'm going to start adding a number to the writing part of the end of her reading lessons.  


Then, we used the animals for patterning.  I made a pattern and asked each girl to continue the pattern.
For Charlotte - Red, blue blue, Red, blue blue (then she added the rest)


For Adelyn - Yellow, Purple, Yellow, Purple


It's also good to use objects for less obvious pattern, other than colors.
For Charlotte - Alligator, Turtle, Alligator, Turtle (in a variety of colors)


My girls are kind of obsessed in their pretend-play with "being the teacher" and I hear this nonstop as they pretend to the ballet teacher, gymnastics teacher, church teacher, etc.
So, I asked them to "be the teacher" and make a pattern for me to finish.  We repeated this a few times.

Charlotte was quite pleased with herself when she tricked me with the above pattern.
I thought the pattern was: yellow, blue, yellow, green red, yellow, blue, yellow, green, red.
However, the actual pattern was: Dog, Bear, Dog Bear, etc


Our masks were dry by the time we finished our lesson!
15 minutes after our lesson was over, Charlotte randomly started drawing animals: two cats, a dog, and a monkey.  I guess my theory went out the window.


Meanwhile, Adelyn is being the "gymnastics teacher" and the girls are singing "The Wheels on the Bus" with diving rings.  These girls crack me up, seriously!


No comments:

Post a Comment